Saturday, May 14, 2016

This time I mean it!

Okay, so I'm going to try this again.

I have decided to try and get in to JavaScript development, specifically web and Node.js?

Do I know what I'm doing? No, I'm not even sure I know what I'm getting into.

Why JavaScript? Node.js d'uh. Clarification, I recently got my hands on a quad copter, and there is in the local developer community that has a meetup for robots. Robots need to be programmed, my quad copter can be programmed. This meetup for robots is Node.js based. Also, the local developer community has a Slack channel, and from that I have found that there is a demand in the area for JavaScript developers. I guess I'm just looking for something new and this presented itself. Plus, if I have something on the web, then I can say I did something? Right?

Now a little about my self. I have been a professional developer for over 12 years, and programming for much longer than that. I have programmed in Pascal, FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC and Java. I have been paid to program in C++, C#, Visual Basic, VBA, SQL and even a little JavaScript (JSON).

As you can see, I have a broad experience with programming languages. I have gotten to the point where I can troubleshoot and even code simple things just by Googling the language or getting a book. Most of the time I find I just need the vocabulary, the syntax is very similar from language to language. Especially in the languages descended from C.

So the hard part is finding a project to do. I find I learn better if there is a goal in mind. But that is the issue, I haven't known what to do, but I'm giving up that and doing my favorite types of projects - fractals.

What are fractals? Well, that will have to be another post.

What are you using? That is a very good question. I'm not sure. I currently have Notepad++, Sublime, Atom and Visual Studio Code installed. If you have suggestions on what to use or tools or tips for the above applications, let me hear them in the comments. I will also need a domain registrar and (maybe) hosting, if I am to let you see my code. Again, any wisdom you have will be greatly appreciated.

The goal going forward will be at least one post every other week. We'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment